Enhancing student transversal skills through innovative approaches to teaching, learning and assessment
Assessment of Transversal Skills 2020 (ATS2020) is an innovative policy experimentation project co-funded by the European Commission. The project comprises 17 partners from eleven EU countries. It involves a comprehensive learning model to enhance student indispensable transversal skills within the curriculum, including providing teachers with modern approaches and innovative tools for the development and assessment of these skills.
ATS2020 aims to provide teachers and students with an innovative learning model which supports the development and assessment of transversal skills embedded in teaching and learning. This model will be implemented and evaluated as part of a large-scale classroom pilot project leading to policy recommendations at both national and European levels.
KEY PROJECT STEPS
- Design and develop the ATS2020 Transversal Skills Framework with a focus on key transversal skills
- Develop the ATS2020 platform and technology tools
- Design a continuous professional development programme for teachers
- Train and support teachers in pilot implementation
- Develop a pre- and post-pilot testing and evaluation
- Create a repository of innovative learning scenarios
- Provide a comprehensive evaluation report and policy recommendations
WHAT ARE TRANSVERSAL SKILLS?
Transversal skills refer to a broad set of key skills that are known to be critically important to success in school, further education and the world of work. They include the ability to think critically, take initiative, use digital tools, solve problems and work collaboratively.
- Opportunity to develop and self-assess transversal skills
- Develop skills for self-directed learning
- Use ePortfolios to support lifelong learning
- Access to professional development training and a repository of pedagogical resources
- Share best practice and ideas
- Use digital technologies to support innovative teaching and learning
- Training in effective use of formative assessment to support student learning
- Validated comprehensive model for student learning and transversal skills assessment
- Development of competence oriented innovative learning environments
- Impact evaluation and subsequent policy recommendations at national level and EU level